The memorial site in Salaspils, Latvia (erected in 1967) of the concentration camp where tens of thousands were murdered by Nazis from 1941 to 1944. On the walls of a concrete building the words “The earth moans beyond this gate” are inscribed. There are half a dozen huge stone monumental statues in the middle of the memorial, and the former barracks and gallows are marked. The sounds of a metronome can be heard, coming from a black marble block which is called the “reminding heart”. These dead heart beats are the only sounds that interrupt the dead silence of this place. On the wall where the executions took place still traces of terror can be seen in the form of holes in the wall. A low concrete wall, overgrown with climbing roses, stands in the place where the children’s barracks stood.