Call for applications
Participate in the ICRC Young Reporter Competition and get an inside look at the ICRC's humanitarian action, in collaboration with national Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The five best entries will win a one-week mission to ICRC delegations in Senegal, Georgia, Lebanon, Liberia and the Philippines. You will get to interview young people affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence and have a chance to report back to your peers, using your own words and creative talents. With the guidance and coaching of an ICRC communication specialist, selected candidates will produce a news report on their mission—in print or film—to be published and/or shown in a variety of media outlets. The finished products will be presented during a ceremony held in Geneva, Switzerland, around May 8, 2011.
We hope you will seize this opportunity to report to the world on issues affecting young people. We look forward to receiving your application and wish each and every one of you the very best of luck.
- Age: 18-25
- Excellent English and/or French language skills
- Strong communication skills and creative expression
- Ability to work as part of a multicultural team
- Interest in youth issues and humanitarian action
- Proven engagement in voluntary work related to social/humanitarian services
- Internet access
- Valid passport
- Proof of a previous communication project – article, photo project, video, radio. (If you do not have a previous humanitarian communication project ready to be submitted, you may create and submit one especially tailored to enter the competition.)
- Letter of recommendation
- Availability for a one week mission to an ICRC delegation (January or February 2011), as well as a trip to Geneva to present the finished product (May 2011)
Entries should be sent no later than October 1, 2010.